It's Illegal To Fly:


I can feel the sunshine on my skin,
The way it wraps you up in a cloth so smooth
It feels just as lovely as you once did 
Laying on hot sand next to me
Our shoulders would touch, and there’d be this awkward silence
Then you'd smile abruptly, stand, pick me up and rush
Headfirst like the linebacker you are, towards the crashing waves.
You'd laugh and I'd squeal, draped over your shoulder blades.
My dead weight was nothing to you

You use to kiss me under the water
When the waves came and I feared I'd be washed away
You use to say, "Babe, I'm right here," 
You'd lean into me and kiss my forehead 
Plant your feet into the sand, your two hands gripping my face.
You'd kiss me and it would be sweeter than honey
Smoother than any diamond green money could buy
Bitter like straight whiskey-
You'd steal my breath from me.

I don't like that my once cherished memories 
How they have these ways of sneaking up on me
I push them down; ignore the feelings
I avoid the places you might be
Close my eyes and count to three 
When I see someone who happens to look just like you.
I'm standing in the rain, its pelting drops mangles with tears
Molding my hair into knots, burning my skin like acid would.
I'm standing on a pier and I'm not supposed to be here.
A swell makes the waves crash over the wooden planks.
I should leave.
Then I remember the day we jumped.
A rush so rich, my heart thudded against my chest.
You held so tightly onto my hand
Then wrapped me in your arms just before we hit the water.

When we swam to shore we were arrested.
The cop asked us if it was worth it
You grinned at him so brilliantly, dripping salt water in the back seat of his squad car and said 
"Hell yeah."
When the cop shook his head and asked why 
You said, "My baby wanted to know what it would be like to fly."

Comments

  1. I laughed aloud at the end of this.
    It is beautiful... True story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful imagery! My wife will love this; I'll pass it along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I'm glad you like it, hope your wife does too.

      Delete
    2. I can't figure out how to post a comment normally, so I've had to hijack someone else's response, sorry! I've read a few of your poems, and I like how vivid they are, especially this one! Easy to put yourself in the picture. Following you so I can read more as they come =) x

      Delete
    3. Haha, it okay, I see you have spotted the comment box. Hehe.
      Any-who, thank you so much for you kind words, I am so glad they are vivid it is what I was strived for.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I am about to go check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and now I've spotted the comments box..*embarrassed* lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, don't be embarrassed once I left a comment on a person's blog saying that I would follow them right after I was done with the comment, then I got a long text on my phone and forgot to follow the person. They posted a comment on my site saying, uh you never never followed me. I was so embarrassed!

      Delete
  6. that's really beautiful with a perfect caption. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, I really needed to hear that. I am glad you liked it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts